|Chickens munching on their fermented feed. They didn't waste a morsel.|
1) Get a food grade 5 gallon bucket.
2) Throw in some feed.
3) Cover with water, and then add some more water for good measure.
4) Cover with a lid for lactic fermentation.
5) Let it alone for a few days at room temperature or a bit warmer.
6) I started feeding it the day after I started the soaking. It was already a little bubbly and bread-y smelling, but it takes a few days of soaking to really get going. I just scooped some out, let most of the water drain into the bucket and fed in a few heavy bowls. They went nuts and cleaned up every bit.
7) Figure out a feeding schedule...this is the part to work on now. Up until now they have had free choice feed. I know about how much they eat daily, so I'll just start feeding them this amount of fermented feed (x 2 to account for all the water soaked up) in the mornings and see how it goes.
So far, I am liking this idea.