Thursday, January 15, 2015

Craving Green Things

These photos of emerging rhubarb and asparagus are from April of last year, but MAN am I ready for spring.  I need to find a way to embrace winter more.  Winter brings many lovely things...snow banks, snuggling up with a book, a period of rest, soups.  But when the gray and cold drag on, I begin chomping at the bit for green growth and thawing soil.  And it's been sunny lately, so I can't really complain about that!

I started some seed flats in our basement though, and the shallots have just germinated so maybe that will soothe my winter spirit.  In the meantime, I have never appreciated our houseplants more.  Our christmas cactus and one of our begonias are about to bloom and I can't wait!

Victoria rhubarb emerging last spring

Asparagus (variety unknown) and Mache last spring

No comments:

Post a Comment