Monday, March 9, 2015

Hardening Off Seedlings

Today was beautiful.  This evening when I got home from work, I took the seedlings that have been living in our basement under fluorescent shop lights out to get in a little time outside, and let the gentle breeze blow through their leaves.  

2 months ago, I started shallots, onions, and alpine strawberries from seed.  Alpine strawberries are really lovely, small strawberries with intense flavor.  Their shape is elongated and they are about the size of an almond.  I grew them a few years ago in a garden we had and really loved them, so I decided to start a new patch this year here at home.  This is their first trip outta the basement to see the light of day (or evening as it happens to be).  

Alpine Strawberries: Alexandria
Alpine Strawberries: Alexandia, and Onions: Red of Tropea, Cortland, and Red Marble
Shallots: Conservor and Zebrune

No comments:

Post a Comment